In honor Memorial Day, this weekend’s craft project is patriotic in nature. This windsock is easy to make and the kids will enjoy watching it dance around in the breeze.
- A cylindrical cardboard oatmeal box (if you are in a pinch, a empty toilet paper roll works too!)
- Blue & White Construction Paper
- Red & White Crepe Paper Streamers
- Hole Punch
- Cut the bottom off of the cardboard oatmeal box. If you are improvising with a toilet paper roll, you can skip this step.
- Cover the box with blue construction paper and then glue on white construction paper stars.
- Cut some red and white crepe paper streamers so that they are of all of equal lengths. Glue (or staple) them to one end of the windsock (oatmeal box).
- Use your hole punch to punch four holes along the top of the windsock.
- Cut two pieces of string about a foot long.
- Now you are going to tie the strings to the windsock. To do this, tie the opposite ends of a string to holes on opposite sides of the cylinder.
- Tie a longer piece of string to the smaller pieces. You will hang the windsock from this piece of string.
- Hang your patriotic windsock from your porch or on a tree!