If you know me (or even follow me on Pinterest) you know I love to bake – cakes and cupcakes are my top 2 favorites. So, when I ran across this awesome Grape Soda Pop Cupcakes recipe from fellow blogger, The Kitchen Magpie, I knew it would be perfect as this week’s Tuesday Treats. I don’t know what is better – the fact that they are purple or that they taste like grape soda. Yum!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 cup of butter
- 2 cups of sugar
- 4 eggs
- 4 cups of cake flour
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 3/4 cups of grape pop
- Neon Food coloring pack
- Ingredients for The Best Buttercream Icing Ever
- Purple colored sugar
- Cream the butter and sugar until well blended. Add your eggs one at a time, mixing well after each is added, then add in the vanilla.
- Sift the baking soda,salt and baking powder together in a small bowl.
- This is where the food coloring comes in. First, let’s not pretend there is anything remotely healthy about these cupcakes, so let’s not worry about dye. We just poured grape soda into the mix. Some dye is really not going to tip the balance.
- On the neon package there are combos to make all sorts of colors. Choose the purple one you like then add the drops -according to the instructions on the package needed to achieve your chosen color- to the grape soda. The grape soda alone will not color these cupcakes. I put in a double dose of the purple to make the batter color you see in these pictures.
- Once you are done that, add the dry mixture to the butter/egg/sugar alternately with the grape soda pop.
- Pour into cupcake liners about 3/4 full. These are a thicker, moist cupcake and they do not rise a lot. I made most of these into mini cupcakes in small muffin tins and those can bake up anywhere from 10-15 minutes, a lot faster than large ones.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 22-25 minutes. Cool completely.
- Iced and sprinkle the tops with the colored sugar.
Recipe and Picture Courtesy of Karylnn Johnston AKA The Kitchen Magpie